Bought to you by the Society of Genealogists' and ScotlandsPeople, our Ask the Experts area provides an opportunity to get some one-to-one guidance on your family history research. Whether you are stuck finding an elusive ancestor or just need help to start, this is a perfect chance to pose specific questions to an expert who can provide invaluable advice.
Twenty minute appointments can be booked on the day by simply visiting the reception desk in the Ask the Experts area. You will be asked to fill in a pre-booking form so that you can be matched to the appropriate expert. All experts will have access to the National Records of Scotland, courtesy of ScotlandsPeople, who will be making up four of the eight experts available.
Please note that research will not be done for you but you will be given advice on how to further your research. It may be advisable to consider the following for making the most out of your session:
1. If you need advice on more than one topic, please book more than one session.
2. Collect your workshop tickets first so you know which time you are available for your session.
3. Have any paperwork (e.g. certificates) in order and ready to show during your appointment.
4. If a friend has a similar enquiry, then they can sit in on your session
5. Before you book a session, check if any exhibitor is specialist enough to answer your question.
6. We have experts in the following areas:
• UK Other
• North America
• Eastern Europe
• Marriage & Divorce
• Birth & Baptism
• Death & Burial
• Armed Forces
• Civil registration
• Church records
• Scottish clans & families
Of course, we welcome any question you may have!
* Please note Ask the Expert sessions are not bookable in advance unless you purchase a beginner ticket to the show.